Forks for Muirwoods '95

paulwind

Retro Newbie
Hi

I've had a Muirwoods from new, it's the 95 i think in the blue colour with rigid forks. I love the bike but have been suffering on the hard grounds so thought i'd fit some forks with shocks. I've been looking at Marzocchi Bombers and the like on ebay, not really that bothered about more than 100mm travel so should be able to get something pretty cheap but not pogo like. I've got a few questions that have cropped up the more i investigate -

Stem size seems to be 200mm (bottom of headset to top of bar risers)
Will any fork fit, or does it have to be a specific length from axel to top of fork?
Do they all sit at the same angle as obviously this would seriously affect the ride if it steepens or lessens the steering angle.
How do i find out what my steering head offset is? Nothing on the Marin site? Help??
Any recommendations would be greatfully received.
Cheers

Hi paulwind,

first of all i'm no suspension expert at so all which i say may be nonsens.

Of course the steerer of the fork has to be long enough to fit. So not all forks you'll find somewhere will be long enough. Too short is useless, too long may be ok. I guess all the bikes with ugly spacers have too long steerers and that seems to work.

If your Muirwoods is 15.5 inch and bigger the steerer head angle is 71 degree (14 inch = 70 degree). That's what the '95 Marin catalogue says. (Check the Gallery&Archive section of this site for that.)

I guess the offset can only be found out by putting the suspension fork in and measure it.

Marin recommended the Manitou Answer and the Rock Shox Judy XC in their catalogue. So maybe you want to search in that direction.
Something like a suspension stem may be also suitable to avoid all this technical madness and at least filter some miner impacts.

So maybe someone who actually rides a suspension fork can correct all this for the better.

Welcome to Retrobike,

Adam

Seems my bike might be a 96. Thanks for your help, i'll have to post pictures to get it identified. The archive and gallery stuff is great but ends for marin after 95. Any ideas how i could get any info on the 96's? I'll start looking for a Rock Shox Judy of about '96 vintage to get me started, or am i better off getting something more modern?

Just add an attachment to your reply. It should work now that your post count is 3 or 4.

Back