Fitting 11/8" forks to my raleigh peak mtb

Donut65

Retro Newbie
I have just purchased a 92 raleigh peak mountain bike that is in excellent condition and best of all it was only £30!. What I would like to know is it possible to fit 11/8" ahead thread less headset and forks to it?. I know the steerer tube is "oversized" but does it make it possible to do the conversion?. I did see a picture of a Raleigh Summit on the forum somewhere and I am sure it had 11/8" forks fitted, it even had a disc brake!. Just need to know if it's a case of pressing in a new headset or if it is more complicated than that?

Aye, you'll be able to do this conversion easily. Simply swap out the threaded headset for an unthreaded one.

As mentioned previous....

Easy as peas. New aheadset and away you go.

I have a 93 peak in that red (not bloody pink!) colour and love it. I use mine to transport my boy on the back in a child carrier (I conned my wife that it's safer having a bike where the child seat stays in place...and that's how I aquired bike number 5...haha)

Anyway, check out mine in my threads. I must say that the peak is a fairly sturdy (polite for not the lightest) bike in rigid mode so personally would you not keep it as such and enjoy the free massage as you rattle downhill!

Might be a lot of money and effort for possibly little improvement overall?

Andy

I'm not sure where in the range the Peak was but some lower Raleigh's have a 1.1/16" headset. You can't fit 1.1/8" forks to these.

I think the Peak is a top of the range model. I know it has an "oversized" headset but not sure if it the equivalent to the 11/8" ahead headset sizing!.

The Peak was second only to the Summit which had RS Mag21 forks, converting to Ahead is simple just knock out the old headset and replace with 1&1/8 Aheadset ;) :D

Thanks Kermit. I did own a summit back in 92 and loved it, it had such a smooth chilled out feel to it. Saw this Peak advertised fir £30 so couldn't resist in buying it.

Back