First gen. Mavic Crossmax freehub service?

bvskog

Retro Newbie
Hi! (In advance; sorry for my bad English, I'm from Norway).

There is probably some posts about this already, but I haven't had the luck of finding them.

Recently bought me a pair of first generation ceramic Mavic Crossmax wheels. The front wheel is perfect, but the rear wheel has a rather slow freehub, and it has some rattle in the axle on the drive side. I suspect it is a worn out bearing.

My problem, though, is that I can't seem to get the hub apart. On newer Mavic rear hubs, you just pop out the end cap on the non-drive side, put a 10mm allen key in there, put a 5mm allen key in on the drive side, and it comes apart.

On this hub, the end cap on the non-drive side of the axle is threaded, and the inside of the axle is round. There is no allen key mount(?). How do I take it apart? Do I put the axle on the non-drive side in a vice, and use a 5mm allen key on the drive side?

Cheers,

Bjørn :)

If it's the same as mine then just grab each end of the axle and undo with your hands.

will add a few pics of mine in a sec as I have just done this to demonstrate

excuse the dirt and grease on the wheel lol.

Hope this helps.

If it wont undo just with your fingers then you'll have to increase your power with whatever you have like a vice with soft jaws or axle vice or whatever.

wear a pair of washing up gloves might be enough to give your fingers a better grip.

Cheers

DannyB

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 514
Sorry forgot how it worked so have edited this.

Just pull the end of the axle firmly on the non drive side and it comes off to show the allen nut behind it
DannyB

I don't think that is classed as first generation ? But if it is, here's inside the freehub body :

WD :D

Then it most definitely has been over-tightened. I've tried to get it loose with my fingers, and with pliers (I've sinned, I know) and an allen key. Will not come loose. Will give it a decent dose of WD-40 and clamp it in the vice with soft jaws tomorrow.

My hubs look like this, by the way:

WD Pro":2uveyzav said:
Here's what I used to service mine :

WD :D

Yeah, that's what you need to service newer Mavic hubs, where you could put the 10mm allen key inside of the axle on the non-drive side. My axle is completely round inside, which means you can't use the 10mm allen key to hold it still.

Just pull the end of the axle firmly on the non drive side and it comes off to show the allen nut behind it
DannyB

Attachments

• IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 501
Sorry I was reading your original post in a hurry and missed the part about it being threaded.
pretty much just ignore all the messages above I have submitted and feel free to tick me off for being irrelevant.

sorry.

DannyB

Back