(Finished) 94 Explosif in custom Stars and Bars

Monkeeee01

Retro Guru
So some of you saw this advertised on Facebook last week and will know that I went to pick it up.

I’ve stripped it down today and cleaned it ready to have the headset swapped and will remove the cranks/chainset when the crank puller tool arrives tomorrow.

As you can see it’s not a perfect replica Stars and Bars paint job but it’s pretty damm good (I’d resigned my self to never getting a real one). Seller had it professionally resprayed in 94/95 by a company in Manchester as he never liked the original green colour and then owned it since.

Paint work is in pretty good nick, a few sections of the stickers are chipped (thinking about taking these off and putting 1994 or 96 ones on - let me know your thoughts?)

You can see the fluted down tube and fatter seat tube and the serial number confirmed it was built at the end of 93 for sale in 94 (see picture of the original bike pre respray).

Plan is now to strip the Team Ti Rock Lobster (frame will be for sale on here soon, msg me if anyone wants it), and to put all the parts on the Explosif.

Will post back once it’s all swapped over and fully built (🤞🏻 by the end of the week).

Thanks

IMG_5618.jpeg IMG_5619.jpeg IMG_5620.jpeg IMG_5621.jpeg IMG_5623.jpeg IMG_5624.jpeg IMG_5571.jpeg
IMG_5625.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 4
I think thats a nice replica in terms of paintjob / decals - I would say its very very close to the original Kona Stars and Bars paintjob.

But me guess that the repaint took not part in 94/95 as that scheme and the design of the decals was not know before end of 96 when Kona announced the 97 line up to us endusers.

Never the less very lovely - looking forward to the build :)

I think thats a nice replica in terms of paintjob / decals - I would say its very very close to the original Kona Stars and Bars paintjob.

But me guess that the repaint took not part in 94/95 as that scheme and the design of the decals was not know before end of 96 when Kona announced the 97 line up to us endusers.

Never the less very lovely - looking forward to the build :)
Yes you would be right actually, the seller told me he supplied the paint company with the 97 catalogue and asked them to copy the Stars and bars ‘A’ha’ from that year.

When I told him I always wanted a Kona in Stars and Bars since I saw the Hot in the 96 catalogue he didn’t know which one I meant (having never seen it before).

I’m speaking to Gill about getting the 96 style downtube Kona graphics, head tube sticker and the Kona custom ones to swap out but I think i’ll leave the Explosif ones (as it’s an Explosif) 🤣

Glad you like it though dude!

Thanks

Yes you would be right actually, the seller told me he supplied the paint company with the 97 catalogue and asked them to copy the Stars and bars ‘A’ha’ from that year.

When I told him I always wanted a Kona in Stars and Bars since I saw the Hot in the 96 catalogue he didn’t know which one I meant (having never seen it before).

I’m speaking to Gill about getting the 96 style downtube Kona graphics, head tube sticker and the Kona custom ones to swap out but I think i’ll leave the Explosif ones (as it’s an Explosif) 🤣

Glad you like it though dude!

Thanks
Are the decals under or over the clear coat?

I was told by the seller that they could be changed so I took that as they were applied last/over the clear coat

On close inspection it looks like that is correct but if I am honest it’s difficult to tell in places.

I’m going to get the decals from Gill and then ponder on it for a bit.

I’ve been told using a hairdryer should make them easier to remove

to be honest I would leave the decals as they are. Never change a winning team and for me they look like the OE spec. ones. Gil's one are cpl. correct, but due different printing technics they are not as thin as the ones they are currently onto the frame.

Agree with above, I would leave the ones on as is, look great.

Back