Ernie Clements (falcon) vintage road bike

Steve~b

Retro Newbie
hi guys.

i currently have in my possession a Clements road bike..

im hoping somebody can enlighten me on the history of this bike. im guessing that it is an early 80s build bike as it has a plastic seat and mud guards but maybe one of you know different.
it has raynolds 531 steel tubing and weighs around 11.5kg. it has spots of rust on the frame but has very nice luggs and i wonder if it would be a good investment to have it resprayed. it has 10 speed simplex gears and shimano breaks. it has ibm handlebars and michelin tyres.

im also interested to get an idea of the value of this bike in its curent condition.

i have atached some photos so please have a look and give me your opinion

thanks. Steve, Staffordshire

Attachments

• photo 11.JPG
    photo 11.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 5,605
  • photo 13.JPG
    photo 13.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 5,602
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 5,595
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 5,593
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 5,596
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 5,589
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 5,586
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 5,598
Thats a nice bike with a good quality frame. If it fits you its worth keeping. It does not look bad enough to warrant a respray and its generally better to preserve the original finish if at all possible. It appears to be equipped with entry level quality components aside from the brake levers with extensions. The latter are a gimmick and the extensions do not afford good braking. Value, difficult to say, but ill start the ball rolling by saying £125.

Im not much of an historian so others will hopefully enlighten you but here is what I think to be correct. Ernie Clements was a founder of Falcon Cycles. When Falcon Cycles was sold to Elswick Hopper Cycles Ernie left and formed his own company with a factory based in South West Wales. Ernie already owned the name Coventry Eagle and that is what appeared on most of the bikes. Some bikes were also badged as Barry Hoban and some as Ernie Clements. Hope this all helps and welcome to the forum.

Yes I did take a pic of the head tube badge but could only upload 7 pictures. Will have a go when I get chance

m interesting its in really good condition , cant be many of those about.it says a product of coventry
eagle on one sticker but then has an individual head badge and 531 its got to be collectible .

I spoke to Edward Clements, son of Ernie and sent him some pictures. Here's his reply;

Dear Mr. Broughton,
It is a Clements racing bike made at my father's Coventry Eagle factory in Newtown, Powys between about 1982 and 1985 in "astral blue".
Yours sincerely,
Edward Clements.

Hi - I've got a couple of bikes from this factory, a 1982 Coventry Eagle Mixte Racer and a 1988 British Eagle Safari Mixte MTB, so I've been trying to dig out the story.

The best information that I have so far is that Ernie Clements (Olympic Silver Medal 194:cool: was working for Roberts Cycles in Birmingham, and wanted to build a new range of quality bikes. He found some old "Falcon" stickers and used them on the new bikes. Then when Coventry Eagle were looking for a better factory (theirs was bombed out), they bought the whole Roberts outfit, including Ernie Clements and the Falcon line. In due course they outgrew the Roberts factory and moved to Barton on Humber, in 1968, where "Falcon" became the dominant name, and Clements was in charge of production.

Unfortunately, none of the other Directors could work with Ernie Clements, so they bought him out, and he took the "Coventry Eagle" brand name in part payment, in 1978. Up to this point, the Falcon head badge included Ernie Clement's name, but changed after the split.

Ernie then persuaded the Welsh Development Agency to get him a new factory in Newtown (where there were skilled bike builders from the old Phillips "Lion" factory at the other end of town). From 1980 he was building good bikes there as "Coventry Eagle", "Ernie Clements" and some for "Barry Hoban". But apparently Ernie had a liking for a lifestyle with expensive cars, and by 1983 his business was virtually broke. The head badge on Coventry Eagles from this factory is a white circular sticker with a garish gold eagle.

Somehow, Ernie persuaded Barry Hoban (another very successful racer and Tour de France winner) to take over the business in 1985. Barry's new business (in the same Newtown factory) was called "British Eagle Cycles Ltd", and built "British Eagle" and "Coventry Eagle" bikes - some were very good, such as the BE "Touristique" - a rival to the Dawes "Galaxy". Some others looked good but were decidedly wonky - like my BE Safari mixte: frame out of line, rear wheel wrongly dished, wrong BB etc.... As delivered, the two wheels left two separate tracks! (Sorted now....)

Ernie Clements left and opened a bike shop in Bromyard.

Barry Hoban's business succumbed to the falling market and by 1990 was sold to the Townsend group, who also bought up the Falcon trading name, plus Claud Butler, Dawes, and many others.

"British Eagle Cycles Ltd" were then re-branded as the very similar "British Eagle Cycles Company Ltd", and soon left Newtown. As a result, questions were asked in Parliament about how much State money had gone into the factory!

Townsend principally imported bikes and components from the far east, and continued to sell all these brands, but on the cheap bikes that they imported, and still do today as the Tandem group.

As I say, this is the story as I have it so far - but any further info or updates are always very welcome!

So far as the original poster's bike is concerned (it's very nice!) - there's a chance that the forks are by Tange - in which case the date is stamped on the stem - eg "82" for 1982. Worth a look!

Re:

This is very similar to mine but a different spec.

Mine has a "Custom" crank, Shimano Altus front mech and shifters (which are attached to the stem), 12 speed, Mavic module 3 wheels, Diacomp levers, Weinmann 720 calipers, Milremo pedals and Sakae Custom bars. It's also.got the chrome bottomed forks.

Don't know if this was a higher spec from new or its been upgraded over time.

Back