don't you hate it when ......

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320843084436? ... 1423.l2649

i was bidding on this bike, i was the high bidder and with about 14 hours to go it got pulled. no doubt someone made a decent offer and the seller took the cash rather than letting the auction run its course.
this has happened a few times now.
oh well can't win them all.
at least i have the rc100 to console myself with. :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I found on a couple of things recently that with only a few hours to go (and as the sole bidder) the seller upped the minimum price, thus negating my bid.

I was please to see them go unsold. I'm not going to do business with toe-rags who try that kind of trick..a sure indicator that there might be other problems, such as mis-description etc.

hamster":2i8g9dzf said:
I found on a couple of things recently that with only a few hours to go (and as the sole bidder) the seller upped the minimum price, thus negating my bid.

I was please to see them go unsold. I'm not going to do business with toe-rags who try that kind of trick..a sure indicator that there might be other problems, such as mis-description etc.

You cant make changes to an auction that has less than 24 hours to go ...can you?

yep, most annoying .... but you cannot blame the seller if he has pound notes waved under his nose can you.

.... actually the last ebay bike I bought I made offer and bike was pulled (it wasn't retro so don't blame me :LOL: ); with hindsight I panicked and paid too much but that's how it is sometime. :oops:

02gf74":2elzvx75 said:
yep, most annoying .... but you cannot blame the seller if he has pound notes waved under his nose can you.
I dunno.

Personally, I have nothing to do with these auctions that do the whole "advertised elsewhere" thing going on. Sellers quite rightly get piqued when buyers renege.

That axiom largely applies to both sides, you can't force people to buy / sell - all the same, though, if we don't like buyers changing their minds, I don't feel the love for sellers doing it either.

Yes, I know you can say, "Well if the auction hasn't ended...", but that's just a timing thing, if an auction has ended, you'd expect a buyer to do their bit, and criticise if they don't.

And I get that for various things, people may want to give themselves maximum chance - but it doesn't work for me - I see sniff of it, and have no truck with it. Can't imagine Sotherbys would be too chuffed if they're auctioning something, and doing that whole horse-race commentary thing, then the seller steps in, mobile to his ears, and says "'scuse me, guv'nor, guy on the end of the phone has just bought it for loadsamoney!"

If you were salivating at the low price but not bidding, you contributed to making the seller rethink the low opening price and raise it in the last hours (not sure you can even do that w/in 24 hours of end time, as was said above).

I try to start things really low when I do auctions, but sometimes there are items with less interest that wouldn't really be served by going too low since they aren't likely to get many bids.

That said, I've never ended an auction early if there were bids on it already.

the seller has contacted me saying he ended it due to not having high enough bids, he has asked me to make him an offer,
so what should i offer for a cro mega with a stuck seat post ?

videojetman wrote:

the seller has contacted me saying he ended it due to not having high enough bids

Isn't that the point of auctions though. If it's what you want and you're in the right place at the right time you get a bargain. A similar item could go for a higher price the following week. The seller can always put a higher
start price on it or a reserve price or even a BIN price. Doesn't seem right just to pull it 'cos it hasn't made him as much as he expected.

The problem with bidding is it relies on more than one bidder. If you are the first bidder, you could bid £200, but if other bidders don't bid up, your max bid is never known to the seller. eBay should allow auctions to be closed, period as it encourages this type of behaviour, bids or no bids placed. Same as advertised elsewhere or any other of the generic excuses people think give them the right to end auctions early just because it doesn't look they are going to get the price they want.

Most bidding takes place at the end of the auction anyway, so this cretin may have missed out on a bumper haul.

As for an offer, don't bother, buy from someone more honest.

Back