Diamondback Apex 94 - Commuter

s1monf

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Now conplete and about as close to a road bike that I'm ever going to get!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!jYE5,zz!)LWBOdM1wf,Tg~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!jYE5,zz!)LWBOdM1wf,Tg~~60_12.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,698
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,107
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,112
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,114
It's an Apex. Lx and True Yemper TT Lite. Nay worries though; the range-topping Axis was exactly the same bike but with an XT drivetrain.

It may be a '94 Axis, LX brakes and hubs would be black, you may have a good result here! :D
I know the '95 Apex came in red (unless came in two colours).

It has silver hubs and brakes and I'm now pretty sure that it's a 1995.
I picked it up yesterday and having bid £102.50 for it as it was mint and had no rust, I was disappointed to find that it was far from perfect. Anyway, half an hour and some hagging later, we agreed that £50 was a fair price!!
It appears to be virtually entirely original and having spent an hour cleaning and fettling I test rode it on my 7 mile off road route to the pub and it rides sweet.
Having taken a brave gamble to strip the lacquer to hopefully uncover the nickel plating, it appears that there was no rust and the frame is in remarkably good super shiny condition.
I have bought it to use as a hybrid road / trail bike and would welcome any suggestions re the build.
Current thoughts are that I will retain everything that came with it with the exception of the tyres (cracked to buggery), bars and stem (oxidised and or too long) and the seatpost (not original) and build into a super shiny machine with Schwalbe 26 x 1.95 City Jet amber walls and brown saddle, grips etc.
I know that will upset some of you but your thoughts are welcome.
I will post some pics once the frame ids prepped. :LOL:

XTSTIMAN":38qxlnin said:
It may be a '94 Axis, LX brakes and hubs would be black, you may have a good result here! :D
I know the '95 Apex came in red (unless came in two colours).
Red was the alternative colour in 95, matt dark blue was the main colour (UK brochure would show mainly the blue version). The 95 red version is gloss bright red (I have 2 95 Apex, both frames are the matt dark blue, but also have a pair of the red forks from that year).

came 2nd on the Apex

I went in for this and spoke to the guy. He had just found it out on Bikepedia then and he had it pretty much bang on. Obviously he could not be specific about the condition but he was almost convinced the TT tubing sticker meant it was a TT titanium model. With the raw colour it was hard it talk him out of it. Nice guy tough so I feel doggin him back to £50 was a tad harsh. Anyway I went for this instead.

It had a super smooth Royce titanium BB, USE seatpost non standard and the tyres were the original Psycho K. 21 speed perfect indexed and just needed a pair of grips and a decent bar as the Club roost was a bit tatty. The guy even chucked in a pair of Mavic 221 on LX hubs with tubes and slicks. All for the headline £78.

Need to get a better stem in my view as the T Bone is brutally ugly and this age of AXIS always screasm out for a Velocity flat stem.

Will put few pics on when done.

By the way has anyone ever heard of a Diamondback M4 not M04 but an M4? Cheers

Attachments

• xt2.jpg
    xt2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,352
  • xt1.jpg
    xt1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,354
  • xt1.jpg
    xt1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,352