Dave Yates Frame Building Course

Nice to see he's using jigs etc that's he's made himself, all the new frame builders just seem to buy them ready made.

Lathe looks like a Harrison M300?

Thanks everyone.

Not too sure what it will be built with yet. It's a new frame so I want to bolt new parts to it. If I could find a complete NOS high end Shimano group then that would be perfect. This is just a standard 1" British threaded frame so most things old or new will fit. It may have new 11 speed Ultegra if I can't find anything old; but it will definitely have retro qualities.

It will definitely have hand built wheels with DT stainless DB spokes, definitely a nice 27.2 Campagnolo or Shimano seat pin with either a Turbo or Rolls saddle. Campagnolo SL pedals (I already have new alloy Campagnolo toe clips and new Binda straps. Probably Cinelli bars and stem - so very much a retro finishing kit. I also have a Chris King 2Nut headset for it.

I won't be putting DENTON decals on it, I'll just be designing a logo with my own name on for this frame. I would feel a bit of a fraud calling this a DENTON; I did build every bit of it myself but Dave was literally on my shoulder throughout all the brazing. The next one I build will be DENTON.

Re:

It's been great reading this thread, thanks for sharing it with us ;)

Looks like a fantastic job, and a lovely colour choice too :cool: Looking forward to seeing the build

One day, I wil take the plunge myself

Mike

Re:

:cool: Love it! A good read indeed, and a lovely bike at the end of it. To all of you who want to build their own...do it. It's cheaper than you think. I'll let you in to a secret...I made my first frame+fork for about £900 all in, and that included all tools,torch setup AND return flights and travel to The Bicycle Academy to do the Fillet Brazing Masterclass with Mr Curtis et al. So it worked out cheaper to make my own than to have one made for me. I'm pretty sure you could still fit most of my workshop in a four-man tent! Mind you, I prefer doing things by hand as much as possible so wouldn't need 95% of the (legendary!) Mr.Yates' fancy machines and witchcraftery jigs, but each to their own.
As Adidas once said, just do it! No, hang on....
P.

Re:

Great thread, jaw dropping stuff, just goes to show the hours and effort and skill required to create any quality steel lightweight bike.

Regards,

Pat

It's been a few weeks since I got the painted frame back from Dave and I've been agonising over what to build this bike with. I've been holding out for a NOS 80s/90s Shimano group but haven't found. I'm so keen to crack on with the build and ride this frame so I've gone with a brand new 11 speed Ultegra build. The frame was built for 700x25 tyres with mudguard clearance... and thankfully, everything fits... just!

Ultegra 6800 levers with Compact bars (Compact bars was Dave's recommendation to get the fit right. I needed a shorter top tube but didn't want to build too short to not run into problems with mudguards.

I think the clearance was spot on. It is very tight under those calipers but the idea of building threads into the bridge and crown to mount the guards has saved on space without having to have too much clearance.

Ultegra 6800 11 Speed hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims

One of the biggest worries I had was if I had brazed the front mech in the correct place but I've got it spot on for the compact chainset, 50T ring and should go up to 52T

The part of the frame I am really happy with is the seat lug and stay caps.

The bike is built and is going on a shakedown ride this afternoon. I'm also designing some decals for the head tube and down tube to finish it off.

I feel like I've sold out a bit with the modern components but I really had to get it built and ridden. I couldn't bring myself to go with modern wheels so I hand built my own wheels with Swiss DT spokes and Mavic Open Pro rims.

Cheers
Neil

Attachments

• Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Bars.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Bars.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Clearances.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Clearances.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 342
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Dropouts.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Dropouts.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Front Mech.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Front Mech.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Seat Lug Seat Stays.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike Seat Lug Seat Stays.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Complete Bike.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 342
LOVELY BIKE!!!!

Dave's place isn't far from me, when i have the spare money and time i really would like to get on the waiting list.

munkey_bwy":tp71swep said:
LOVELY BIKE!!!!

Dave's place isn't far from me, when i have the spare money and time i really would like to get on the waiting list.

Thank you!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Back