Countrys oldest bike shop Howes Cycles closing after 173yrs

Re: Countrys oldest bike shop Howes Cycles closing after 173

paddlingpool":7gdk2qwk said:
Sad days...

Quite a few of the comments seem to disagree.

there were only two decent bike shops in Cambridge howes and ben Haywards. lot's of other one's for cheap bikes for students . but out if the two ben Haywards was the one I kept going back too just because if all you wanted was brake pads for a few quid they would treat you the same as someone buying a bike for a grand. But in howes you just got the feeling that if weren't going to spend big money that there interest dropped and could not wait to see the back of you. But it is still a shame it is closing

legrandefromage":3s7pk7tw said:
Mike's Bikes was always better.
Hahaha. I take it you are being sarcastic

FMJ":3s7pk7tw said:
Quite a few of the comments seem to disagree.
It was my favourite and always the most knowledgable

I liked them. They built the wheels I used for my trips round Europe and across North America after I graduated.

Their wheel builder was happy to show me how to true wheels in case of having to replace spokes or repair other damage. The wheels stayed true until the rims wore through.

Seems to me now might be a good time to go there and see what's been left over/lying around in their back rooms-old stuff-now that they are closing everything will probably be sold-could be retro gold there...

While it may be sad shops closing, especially for silly reasons, I would say there are a lot of small cycle businesses opening as well. Swings and roundabouts.

Howes is closing because of retirement. I phoned the shop today to see if they had any old stock remaining as I am after an ever ready 800 adapter. They told me it was a mutual retirement and nothing wrong with sales. They just feel it is time to close.

Still sad that they have not got anyone to carry on in their name.

Back