Cogwalls, remember those. ya' know, when you wear out that cog you always used. what happened¿

or a wheel. :)
Chainwheel - traditionally used on the chainset on a bicycle

and sprocket, usually referring to the rear wheel mounted driver/s

A gear has teeth cut to mesh with another gear.

Your sturmey hubs have gears in them, but a sprocket on the outside, meshing with a chain, driven by a chain wheel.😁

The term "gear" is used to refer to the drive ratio, but then when people say they have five gears, they assume that the five sprockets on the back are called gears.

Of course the true pedant might prefer to use the term "speed" to refer to the drive ratio.
(Pretty common now eg with 11- speed cassettes)

Or maybe not😉

Chainwheel - traditionally used on the chainset on a bicycle

and sprocket, usually referring to the rear wheel mounted driver/s

A gear has teeth cut to mesh with another gear.

Your sturmey hubs have gears in them, but a sprocket on the outside, meshing with a chain, driven by a chain wheel.😁

The term "gear" is used to refer to the drive ratio, but then when people say they have five gears, they assume that the five sprockets on the back are called gears.

Of course the true pedant might prefer to use the term "speed" to refer to the drive ratio.
Or maybe not😉
from an engineers point they are all wheels except a gear (unless it's a gear wheel which is a wheel with inserted teeth rather than cut). :)

a gear may not only mesh with another gear, it may also mesh with a worm (I'm being humorous here in case you missed it)

from an engineers point they are all wheels except a gear (unless it's a gear wheel which is a wheel with inserted teeth rather than cut). :)

a gear may not only mesh with another gear, it may also mesh with a worm (I'm being humorous here in case you missed it)
I thought a worm was a type of gear though😉

Back