Can you ride an mtb in a cyclo-cross race?

I think so, definitely OK at local level, but you would have to check with the organiser.

Competitive? Probably depends on the circuit, quite a decent tarmac type bit on the courses I've seen, plus you want something light when you end up carrying it. I'd say no.

Before anyone thought to make a rule, Gary Fisher regularly raced 'cross on his MTB, finished second on his Ritchey in 1982 in the Northern California Championships. I raced in one myself around 1979 on my Breezer.

What's the deal breaker, ie how do they judge what will be allowed or not? Is it by wheelsize? flat bars?

mtbfix":3g7oy3of said:
Disc brakes is one factor. UCI races require rim brakes only.

* Handlebars must not measure more than 50 cm (19.5 inches) in width.
* Tire width may not exceed 35 mm and tires may not feature any kind of studs or spikes.
* Wheels shall have at least 12 spokes.
* The bicycle must not weigh less than 6.8 kg (15 lb).
* Disc brakes are forbidden.

i thought you couldn't actually race a cross bike in a cross race, but instead had to run about carrying it everywhere?

;)

Deffo NOT in the 3 Peaks !!!

Only competitors riding cyclo-cross bikes will be allowed to take part. Mountain bikes (or any other type of two-wheeled transport) are not permitted and anyone who appears (in the opinion of the race officials) to contravene this rule will be disqualified and/or prevented from taking part in the race.

;)

Latest posts

Back