Brake Block "wires"? "hooks"?

turkeytickler

Dirt Disciple
hi all

you know those things, on vintage brakes, inverted v shaped hooks on each brake block - what are they called and where can you get the from?

Chris

Re:

Wheel guides.

DSC04465_2.jpg

No idea where you can get some (other than my shed) if you get stuck you can buy mine cheap they are a little corroded but useable.

Wheel guides........used on road bikes when you puncture at the roadside and guys in the car following need to leap out and slap on a new wheel double quick and don't want to get it stuck on the brake blocks.

BITD Harry Hall did this sort of duty, I have done the same for Phil Bayton.

ClUaLUoWMAAqjDU.jpg

What brakes have you got?

Shaun

Wheel guides!! Thank you :D

I'm building an early 80s era bike at the moment, using Shimano 600 arabesque. I don't have brakes for it yet and given the money the arabesque brakes seem to for for on ebay i might compromise and use some diacompes of similar appearance. sjs sell them new for £16.

Are they integrated into the blocks then? I though on some models they kind of screwed in alongside the block assembly making them "optional"?

Thanks ever so much for the info guys, I love this forum!

Chris

Re:

These ones are part of the brake 'shoe' no separate pieces, the shoe is 40mm long so not a great deal of stopping power, anyway braking is for wusses :D

Re:

Later 600ex wheel guides fit like a washer between the pads and the caliper meaning that technically you can transfer them to new pads but when I tried with the bolt was slightly too wide to get the bloody things on... :facepalm:

Someone's selling some fibrax ones for a tenner:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Fibrax-Al ... SwMNxXXq3k

Attachments

• 600ex.jpg
    600ex.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 604
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

^
This is the point when you get the drill out, what could possibly go wrong :roll:

Here's what happens when drill meets brakes........... front caliper from my 70's TT bike :)

2a5x8ol.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":11vc9e9n said:
Here's what happens when drill meets brakes........... front caliper from my 70's TT bike :)

2a5x8ol.jpg

Shaun

I thought Alf (or whoever mechaniced for him at the time), as well as drilling out the arms of his Weinmann 500's, sawed the bottom half of his caliper slots off to save weight (!).

Yep, if you blow up the image you can see the bottom part of the calliper slot has been cut off... drilling and cutting of my calliper by non other than Kevin Sayles :)

Shaun

Back