Bontrager Race Lite (93-95?)

milesandmiles

Retro Newbie
15 years ago I purchased a Bontrager Race-Lite from the original owner, who custom-ordered and eventually took delivery of the bike from Keith whilst working on a racing circuit in California. This was circa 1993-1995, but I don't know how to determine the date. It's a medium, I believe -- the previous owner and myself both 178cm (5-10).

Condition: I switched out the tires, it has a WSD seat, but otherwise the bike is original. I found some minor rust after I bought it, which I gently sanded off with copper wool and covered with clear nail polish.

Any suggestions for where/how to sell? The previous owner made me promise I wouldn't part it out. My understanding is that this is a $200 bike or a $2,000 bike, depending on if you've hit the right buyer at the right time :)

Thank you in advance for your feedback and guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Lovely bike and these have a strong following, so selling it won't be an issue, value depends on overall condition and originality.

There are Kona experts here who will be able to help you. Getting the frame number should help date it more accurately, the v-brakes suggest mid to late 90s, but they may have been a later upgrade.

@benjabbi

Getting the frame number should help date it more accurately, the v-brakes suggest mid to late 90s, but they may have been a later upgrade.
I don't see the frame number on it but will look again. For what it's worth it has Salsa 7075 chain rings, which again could have been upgraded.

I recall the original owner telling me they had the bike built up custom, did not come from a retailer.

I don't see the frame number on it but will look again. For what it's worth it has Salsa 7075 chain rings, which again could have been upgraded.

I recall the original owner telling me they had the bike built up custom, did not come from a retailer.
If the parts match the frame year then that is definitely a possibility, even if some parts have been upgraded that won't affect things too much, assuming the bike is in good order.

I don't know where frame number is on Bontragers, or even if they include the year, might be a more abstract coding system. Have you checked the underside of the bottom bracket?

Hi, lovely bike. 👍 😁
The numbers on the dropouts have been confirmed by ex employees as not meaning much, the dropouts were numbered but were just in a box and grabbed as needed. Those numbers don't have any significance with regards to dates.
I don't know any more than what you can research on the Internet but 2 piece seat stays, a front mech roller and straight sided decals put it at the earlier end of your 93-95 estimate.
These things are notoriously difficult to put an exact age to and I don't think you'll get any more accurate than you already are, sorry. 👍 😁

Latest posts

Back