Bomber z150 freeride 26 to 27.5 conversion possible ?

paddo

Dirt Disciple
Any chance anybody with a similar fork or the same said fork would know if theres much clearance to run a 27.5 on these beasts..
Im trying out a conversion on an orange alpine 160 from 2009 thats a 26r... Loads of room in the back swingarm for a 27 it looks like, the chain and seat stays are wide..
Obviously im not going to find a decent 27.5 fork with a straight steerer for reasonable money..
If your wondering why I dont stick to 26s.. The only set I have spare are quick release and knowhere near burly enough for a bike of this nature..
Far more options both new and second hand in 27.5s I figure..

the overall diameter needs to fit under the crown -

If you can fit say a 26 x 2.4 with 12mm clearance under the crown, you'll need to to fit a 27.5 x 2.0 (max) to keep the same clearance.

Realistically, given the overall diameter is the same, the bigger tyre on 26 would be better for the job.
So if you want a 27.5 wheel, you'll need a 27.5 fork to fit an appropriate tyre size for the bike - if you want to use the 26 fork, get the right 26 wheel and the biggest tyre it will take.

Before putting 27.5 on the back, I’d let all the air out of the shock and fully compress the suspension. Check how much clearance there is for the tyre against the seat tube. Last thing you want is a bigger wheel hitting the frame landing a drop.

Understood... I havint actually bought the fork yet, thats why im actually wondering.. I recall people saying that fox forks have more clearance for 27.5s of around the same era.. I might be getting a great deal on the bombers though.. But if it wont work then theres no point.. Then there's the main issue really that theres no straight steerer fork that I know of for a freeride bike in 27.5s. Unless anybody knows of some ?? Id happily take that into account..

Before putting 27.5 on the back, I’d let all the air out of the shock and fully compress the suspension. Check how much clearance there is for the tyre against the seat tube. Last thing you want is a bigger wheel hitting the frame landing a drop.
Yep.. Will do that.. That was my biggest concern... I dont ride the knarliest of stuff but your right, It would be hair raising if you knew that sometimes the wheel would hit the frame and youd have a handbrake at the wrong time.. :p

You can get steerers replaced, at a a cost. It is possible to retrofit tapered forks with straight steerer.

You can get steerers replaced, at a a cost. It is possible to retrofit tapered forks with straight steerer.

Yeah ive seen them before, too expensive for the layman though... For that price you could probably buy a press and do it yourself..

Back