Best shim metal

poweredbypies

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Need to make a 0.5mm shim what's the best metal to make it out of? Found a place that can supply small off cuts of different sheet metals what would be best something soft so it can mould itself to the steerer and stem or something a bit tougher?

Or even better some heath robinson tips on what household metals can be used for this little problem. :D

Drinks can aluminium is popular

I have an Irn Bru shim fotted to a seat clamp which has lasted several years without problem........... :D

Engineering places sell shim steel.

Generally with bike stuff thin shims are steel thicker shims are aluminium.

Just been hunting around the cupboard and found an old vacum clean pipe stainless and look to be bang on the steerer size as is now so gonna cut a slice out of that and then a slice down the length its the right thickness, fingers crossed.

poweredbypies":1r4xaoib said:
Tried it far too thin would need loads of them to do it, dont like the idea of multiple shims.

i've wrapped a continuous strip round 3 or 4 times - its held perfectly well.

Just noticed the word steerer in your first post, I'm now curious as to what you are doing?!
You can obviously buy 1" - 1 1/8" ahead stem converters, but they are more than 0.5mm thick so it can't be that?

Atb stem 21.2mm to 1inch forks (22.2mm) .5mm per side ?
=drinks can ;)

All thinking way to small :LOL: its for a 1 1/4" steerer. Legend had it that those specialized stems with the adjustable angle shims were 1 1/4" without the shim well they are a mil or so to big so need to shim it slightly. Will be getting busy with the angle grinder later on that vacum pipe.

Latest posts

Back