Been offered an old Orange Clockwork for FREE

neilpass

Old School Hero
:mrgreen: a workmate has offered me an old 90's Orange Clockwork, he's bought a new bike and hasn't got room for it in his flat he has offered it me for free, needs some serious work by sounds of things but could be a great project. One major issue he told me about is the rear mech hanger is stripped, I'm picking it up on friday.

Is the stripped hanger a major problem :? , was even considering a single-speed conversion if it can't be fixed. One plan was to make it roadworthy and let my son have it for Uni transport to save his road and full sus bikes from getting ruined from being stored outside for 3 years.

I'll post some pics when I get it from him

Re:

As xerxes says - use a hanger saver.

You *may* find that in top gear the chain rubs on the hex head part of the hanger saver when you first fit it, but some careful thinning out of the hex part with a file should give you clearance.

Best to fit the mech and tighten it fully first - then just file the part of the saver that comes into contact with the chain. You can make it really thin if you need to.

I've had one of those hanger savers on my Zaskar ever since I built it up geared and had absolutely no problems - very easy solution.

Single speed is definitely an option, I guess it all comes down to what state the bikes in when I get it, if it just needs a strip down, new chain and hanger fix then I'll keep it as is, however if it needs a whole new transmission then the single speed route would be more appealing.

The intention at the minute is to get it refurbed, and let me son have it for a college then Uni hack to save his other bikes for their intended purposes.

Well I was given the bike yesterday and its a bit of a wreck, the stripped rear hanger turned out to be bent at 45 degrees and the deurailleur ripped from the threads, the rear deurailleur itself is completely stuffed with the cage bent at 90 degrees. The rear mech was fairly new LX model which I believe was fitted but not setup and ridden, the rear mech shifted into the back wheel causing the damage, the back wheel is at least 10mm or more out of true. The BB is worn out, but that was to be expected, the chain and cables went straight in the bin. The frame paintwork is also poor, but I have managed to straighten the rear mech hanger and the mech bolt seems to screw in and tighten ok, the headset which is a DX one seems ok too. The bike also had a Blackburn rear rack and full mudguards. The full spec seems to be DX throughout and the rest of the components seen to be in quite good order although showing their age. The seatpost was stuck and needed a gentle tap with the hammer to remove it. I have planned to fit newish Deore 9 speed gearing and XT V brakes, new seat and post, ahead converter, Easton Monkey lite carbon bars and stem, I have some old Trek wheels that will take a 9 speed cassette that I also intend to use.

The frame is the dilemma as I was hoping it would be in better condition, there is no other obvious damage other than the bent hanger but the paintwork is well beyond a polish, it's finished in the classic Orange day glow orange with white fade, this is supposed to be a cheap build so I'm probably going to get a powder coat and new decals rather than an authentic paint job.

I think I only need the following items:
deore 9 speed rear mech
Deore chainset and BB
26.4 seatpost
1" quill to 1 1/8" ahead converter.

I'll post some pics later

Pic of frame in the "new" wheels the picture doesn't do justice to how bad it is
Clockwork1_zps88f375e8.jpg

Back