aliexpress forks - yay or nay?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
possibly after son 1" ahead carbon forks... googleing turns up a few options, mainly the ritchey and columbus options, which I'm sure are great forks. Other results mainly seem to be aliexpress versions at a fraction of the price. Now, I know that usually "you get what you pay for" but has anyone actually tried these? are they as bad as you might expect for the price? or are any of them actually a viable option? Anyone got first hand experience?

Not tried but watching with interest! I’m also after some 1” Carbon forks. I've got a few 1" forks that have steerers that are too short for what I need what are you after? Hadn't thought of aliexpress, the price is appealing. One thought I did have is what difference is the level of trust in a used fork with unknown history vs a newly manufactured fork from an unknown quality?

The trouble with Aliexpress purchases is that there's little to no come back if it proves faulty - and while there are some reputable and cheap Chinese brands out there, the frauds will copy cat them. It's truly the wild west.

Ues I always wonder about used carbon forks too. There must be some reputable makes on AliExpress too. As for guarantee or some sort of customer service, well I imagine that could vary a lot

I guess it comes down to how lucky you are feeling. Of course there will be good ones out there but I doubt their quality control is that good.

Even a decent set of forks from a reputable brand are still cheap when compared to the bill for the aftermath of a snapped fork.

Dental work is pretty expensive at the moment ….

I said nay, better buy from ebay a new old stock look, time, true temper, columbus, profile or dedacciai carbon fork if you a quality fork that will last you decades

Ues I always wonder about used carbon forks too. There must be some reputable makes on AliExpress too. As for guarantee or some sort of customer service, well I imagine that could vary a lot

There are differences in cultural expectations which make this tricky. I was told by a high up in ICI in the 90s that the Chinese never stop negotiating. You agree a price, and they send something which is lower quality than what you saw. It's a cultural expectation that you will challenge them, and renegotiate the deal. Maybe you will end up paying more for better quality, or accepting what they sent. Next time you reorder, they'll try the same dance again.

Back in the day, the default dispute resolution on Aliexpress wasn't to give you your money back, but help negotiate a discount and keep the goods (no matter how faulty). Actually returning stuff was near impossible as it was expensive and would somehow get lost on the Chinese mainland. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt it the underlying cultural differences have.

I've seen a few pairs of aliexpress Forks fail.
It's a safety-critical part.

Buy a recognised brand from a domestic retailer. They can't afford to kill customers with faulty goods.

If you want to spend less money, get a steel fork.

I bet a lot of them are not bad

Best option is still to get a great oldschool time carbon fork. like I did for my Merlin Titans. 3 pieces! I just repainted them.

Back