92 Lava Dome - can't decide

TooHiBMI

Dirt Disciple
Hidden under the rattle can paint job and my bad attempt to make her look like a '95 Cinder Cone is my original '92 Lava Dome.

Currently weighing up the original vs personalised.

Watch this space....

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200625_182528.jpg
    thumbnail_20200625_182528.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 468
Re:

TooHiBMI":800obutz said:
Hidden under the rattle can paint job and my bad attempt to make her look like a '95 Cinder Cone is my original '92 Lava Dome.

Currently weighing up the original vs personalised.

Watch this space....
Generally speaking, life is easier if that decision is made before spraying the whole frame. ;) However, for what it's worth, I think the new colour looks very nice indeed. :cool: Be original rather than stick with the original.

Re:

+1 for keeping the blue. Whatever the headbadge is i like the colours on the blue. Forks in black work but would deffo do a bit of simple paintshopping to see what they would look like matched to the frame.

Re:

Keep it blue! I'm assuming that this was owned from new, so it tells a story keeping it the way it is? Plus it's a nice colour :cool:

Perhaps you could build it up with some more choice parts this time around, maybe something that you fancied BITD but couldn't afford/get hold of.

If it's repainted as per original spec it becomes just another restored Lava Dome.....

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go for a budget build which means keeping the blue and the surf dude stickers (which I'm not). The plan is to try and tidy the garage and put on the Lava Dome whatever I find in the process. So far I've found the original rear & front mechs, the cranks, near perfect '95 Project Two forks, what looks like an XT threaded headset in VGC, a late 90s Velocity stem and whatever brakes my wife's old Rockhopper had. I also found a few handle bars and the best appear to be the Ritchey Forcelite ones. I am going to have to invest in shifters as the XT Thumbies I always planned for this are on the Explosif after the Xray/SRT-800s just fell apart after 20+ years (you just can't get the quality these days!).

Attachments

• Lava2.jpg
    Lava2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 313
Re:

Looks like you have a lot more trinkets on your garage wall :LOL:
As said before - be original rather than keep it original.

Back