80's single speed hubs

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
The wheels on my track bike have started to show signs of failure - sealed Gipiemme hub affairs. I'd like to go a little more period with some replacements (whether authentic age or at least in looks).

120mm solid axle, but needs to be single speed rather than fixed wheel.

Any suggestions?

Mavic 520 pista ?

I think my track wheels have these

$_35.JPG

Did you want small or large flange?

Shaun

Re:

Yep, single speed, not fixed. Not sure such a things exists as far as 80's hubs go? For a track frame anyway.

Re:

Hi Finney1973,
To convert a fixed track hub to freewheel, screw on the freewheel and do not use the lock nut.

Stollen from Sheldon Brown.
"A single-speed (BMX) freewheel is a modular unit, consisting of a single sprocket and its associated freewheel (coasting) mechanism. These have standard 1.37" x 24 tpi threads, and fit on any hub that takes a thread-on freewheel. This includes BMX hubs, track hubs, and multi-speed freewheel hubs."

"Track hubs have a stepped thread. The main thread that the sprocket screws onto is the same as that of a normal freewheel hub. Outboard of this, is another threaded section of slightly smaller diameter."

3c47407994a8b6ad4fa66a468b872f944f951328.jpg

: Mike :D

Re:

Hi Mike,
Well that is an eye-opener. This is stating then that a freewheel can be installed as standard onto the fixed side of a (in modern parlance) a flip-flop hub? Or even better onto track-hubs (How good would sherriff-stars be!) How is this not common knowledge! Based on this the amount of options has just multiplied many times over.
Many Thanks,
Marc

Re:

I think there used to be a Regina Extra in single speed, should just screw on to a track hub...

The manufacturers did not recommend a SS on a track hub BITD, however it's amazing what those 5 or 6 threads on a track hub will hang on to................

Shaun

Re:

just use a normal freewheel hub. Something like a Normandy large flange looks trackie and period. Take a few spacers off each side to make it 120 width and jobs a good un

Midlife":3nmpe9dv said:
The manufacturers did not recommend a SS on a track hub BITD, however it's amazing what those 5 or 6 threads on a track hub will hang on to................

Shaun

Yes, should be fine - you have to be a bit careful taking them off though

Latest posts

Back