73mm (Octalink) BB with 68mm frame - with spacers?

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me if I can use a 73mm (Octalink) BB with 68mm shell frame, with spacers?

I'm geeting the parts in for a bike I'll be doing up a bike at Easter which is currently in storage so I can't check the shell width. I thought that I could get a 73 to be on the safe side and just use spacers in case it's a 68 (would the ones that come with hollowtech II BB fit?)

Or is that a stupid idea? Cheers :)

Wow, spooky. I was just about to ask the same thing! Have a 10spd octalink here with a 73mm bb. Same deal. If anybody has any idea as above.

Thanks mr swan.

Hello, are you talking about the Shimano BB-M950? If so: you can use it definitely for both 68mm and 73mm.

Attachments

• BB-M950 Innenlager.jpg
    BB-M950 Innenlager.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 691
I'm looking for at V2 Octalink so not one of the old XTR ones (something like ES5x/ES7x). Interesting that the XTR ones seem to come with spacers to fit either but I've only ever see the others specified as 68 or 73?

Re:

I bought a NOS M950 Octalink BB and can confirm it came with spacers.
I fitted it to a 68mm frame using the spacers.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":103194y6 said:
I bought a NOS M950 Octalink BB and can confirm it came with spacers.
I fitted it to a 68mm frame using the spacers.
Thanks, that's what I gathered from the sheet above but I'm asking about the possibility of using spacers with the non-XTR Octalink models, which I don't think are intended to be used with them as far as I know?

Just picked up an es30 for £10 delivered 68x113. Problem solved cheaply.

Back