1997 Peugeot Energy 500

benjabbi

Bontrager Fan
I've been looking to do a non Shimano build for a while now, I saw this on Ebay and it caught my eye. Columbus tubing joined with their funky internal brazing, it's the right size and I like the colour, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Sachs Quarz group with Magura/Altek brakes, Hope Hubs/Mavic ceramics.
I'll be out on it later but it all seems pretty good so far. _20220430_100328.JPG _20220430_100356.JPG _20220430_100421.JPG _20220430_100451.JPG DSC_0402.JPG

Been riding this quite a bit since I built it.
It's a nice riding frame. The Sachs stuff is good. I've always liked the shifters, the downshift at the rear is not quite as smooth and quick as Hyperglide but it does work, backwards front mech takes a bit to get your head round, but being sprung to the outer ring makes the shift quick and effortless. _20220512_085957.JPG _20220512_090025.JPG

Spec:

Frame: Peugeot Energy 500, 41cm, Columbus Pulse tubing, internally brazed.

Fork: Tange

Headset: Dia-compe aheadset
Stem: Salsa S.U.L. 110mm
Handlebar: X-lite Expert
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Magura HS33
Brake Pads: SwissStop
Brake Cables: Magura
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Altek Hydraulic

Shifters: Sachs Powergrip Extreme
Front Derailleur: Sachs Quarz
Rear Derailleur: Sachs Quarz
Derailleur Cables: Fibrax
Cassette: Sachs Powerglide 11-28
Chain: KMC X-99
Cranks: Sachs Quarz
Crank Bolts: Allen bolt
Chainrings: Dimension/Stronglight/SR 44/34/24
Chainring bolts: I.D. Alloy
Bottom Bracket: Tange Pro-Surge
Pedals: Onza H.O. Stainless spindles

Hub Skewers: Halo hex
Rims: Mavic 217 ceramic
Hubs: Hope Ti-glide/Fatso
Nipples: DT alloy
Spokes: DT Comp
Tyres: Continental Vertical Pro 26x2.3"
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: U.S.E. Alloy
Seatpost Binder: Allen bolt

Weight: 24lb 4oz

Reactions: CTK
I'm no expert on the brand but I think this was the last era of decent P. Bikes, so an interesting machine. And anything made of columbus will be at least half decent!

From the admittedly limited research I did before I pressed 'buy it now' I came to the same conclusion. To be honest Peugeot is not a brand I'd ever given much thought to. It seems like a nicely built frame though and it rides well, so glad I took a punt. Just hope the Bomber doesn't spoil it!

Back