1996 Zaskar full bike, some retro and some newer parts.

JonR

Retro Guru
When I was but a lad of 18 and after a great deal of saving I bought myself a 1995 Zaskar, I loved it dearly and when some unmentional front bottomm stole it from my parents garage I was deeply dis-chuffed. So when I hit my early 30s I sought to recreate the thrill of that GT love and I bought an old used 16" Zaskar, polished the frame, threw away the bad bits and built up a bike to ride when the weather is nice.

I've ridden it a few times along the river bank in the summer and it's been great fun, if a little small for me but since my last house move just over a year ago it has been consigned to rather dank cellar where the polished finish has started to tarnish (and it has fallen out of favour as I bought a 2001 'dale F2000 with a sexy lefty. I'm so fickle)

I have to move abroad in a few months and so sadly I'm going to have to start parting with my numerous bikes and so the Zaskar as the least ridden is first up. It could use a little bit of a polish to get the sheen back on the frame but once that is done it will be a stunning once again.

It has (And I'm sorry I don't have the serial numbers for thins as I'm in work and can't check atm)

-Late 90s or early 2000s RS SID SL forks with full and mighty 80mm of travel

-Mid 90s Pre Trek Bonty race-lite (I think?) wheels

-Battered old Scwalbe tyres

-Retro STX-RC chainset

-LX rear mech (I'll chuck in my old XTR 9 speed mech that I always meant to put on it but never got round to)

-LX front mech

-NOS 8 speed cassette and chain.

-8 speed XT combined lever and shifters, these were NOS when I bought them and are as new. The fact they are set for canti brakes and I use them with Vs gives lovely braking modulation although I dunno if it's reccommended to do.

-NOS 8 speed

-XT V brakes

-Modern Kore stem

-An azonic bar that I decided to polish the anodising off from at the same time as the frame. It was a partial success and the bar looks fine. At a distance.

-Modern Sunline lock on grips in a very manly baby blue colour.

-Modern Charge spoon

-Club Roost seatpost

The bike is situated in sunny Stockport and whilst I can post it will be a bit of a faff and take a while so I'd prefer collection. A veritable bargain it just 300 pounds.

2014-03-29164052_zps905c31f6.jpg

Re:

That is a bargain.

BTW - your profile pic. I recognise that image from about, ooooh 14 years ago? Was it an online Comic called something like Freshmeat or deadmeat or some such. I seem to remember that character usually came out with something completely 'wrong' iyswim.

It was an online comic strip yeah, it seemed to be an exercise of how wrong you can make a 3 frame comic strip in which nobody moves. I've not looked for it in years but I had this picture in the files of my C drive and thought I'd make it my avatar.

Yep the Zaskar is a bargain but I'm leaving the country and wont have room for it in the new place I don't think, and so someone is going to get a lot of bike for not much money.

Re: Re:

neuroportal":1a4bincn said:
BTW - your profile pic. I recognise that image from about, ooooh 14 years ago? Was it an online Comic called something like Freshmeat or deadmeat or some such. I seem to remember that character usually came out with something completely 'wrong' iyswim.

Bug eyed Earl from Red Meat :D

Hi Jeff. The frame is a 16" You could ride it with seatpost at full extension but in all honesty it would probably be a little too small for you.

I'm 5' 11" and a half with a 32" inside leg and I ride it with the seatpost extended as in the pictures and it's not as short as modern 16" bikes are so I'm not utterly cramped but I'd say any bigger than me and you'd be BMXing on it.

Back