1993 Rockhopper Front Tire

New York Albertan

Old School Hero
Came w/the bike on Araya rims. Anyone think this is unsafe to ride on? 30 psi.

Attachments

• DSC08898.JPG
    DSC08898.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC08899.JPG
    DSC08899.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC08904.JPG
    DSC08904.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC08905.JPG
    DSC08905.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC08906.JPG
    DSC08906.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC08900.JPG
    DSC08900.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC08902.JPG
    DSC08902.JPG
    436.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
They won't last long at all unfortunately. Before you know it you will have a puncture and tyre destruction
Yep. I can sense it. Off to change the tire! They are 26/1.95. For daily commuting and a smidge of not difficult single track, would you recommend staying 1.95, or moving up to 2.0/2.10... I have another beater I'll use for winter commuting (also needs tires!)

Last edited:
Yeah, change no doubt. On my 97 I run 2.0s. For basic single-track and commuting I'd go 2, never had any issues on tarmac with 2s. I ride about 20km, mostly tarmac, to the woods to ride from time to time. Suits both purposes fine.

Hope you're happy with the rockhopper mate. One of my favourite frames.

But just to clarify, 1.95s would do the job equally well. No bother. You could do commuting and basic single-track on 1.75s no issues. But for winter I'd recommend 2.0s. I'm in Denmark, doesn't get nearly as cold as Canada, but I winter commute myself.

But just to clarify, 1.95s would do the job equally well. No bother. You could do commuting and basic single-track on 1.75s no issues. But for winter I'd recommend 2.0s. I'm in Denmark, doesn't get nearly as cold as Canada, but I winter commute myself.
My old Norco has 2.10 and, even though they're bulky and heavy, they have been my "commuter tire" until I got the Rockhopper, which I love. It is so pristine! I like the feel of the 1.95's, though. They seem to be the "sweet spot", for me. But I am open to all suggestions - that's why I'm here.

Did you see the post on the freebie I got yesterday? I actually got it back to riding order. It may become my Alberta winter beater! It was so gratifying to ride w/my son, keeping up w/him on the old Precision freebie (Canadian made - who knows by "whom").

If you follow football, Brentford seems to have half the Danish national team on their squad! And they are doing quite fine, thus far. Not to mention the gaffer, Thomas Frank. A good manager, indeed!

My old Norco has 2.10 and, even though they're bulky and heavy, they have been my "commuter tire" until I got the Rockhopper, which I love. It is so pristine! I like the feel of the 1.95's, though. They seem to be the "sweet spot", for me. But I am open to all suggestions - that's why I'm here.

Did you see the post on the freebie I got yesterday? I actually got it back to riding order. It may become my Alberta winter beater! It was so gratifying to ride w/my son, keeping up w/him on the old Precision freebie (Canadian made - who knows by "whom").

If you follow football, Brentford seems to have half the Danish national team on their squad! And they are doing quite fine, thus far. Not to mention the gaffer, Thomas Frank. A good manager, indeed!
2.10 would do just fine as well. 2 and 2.1 is negligible to me. Below and above we are starting to notice differences. I'd get a nice fresh set of 2.0s and call it a day.

I follow football but not much these days. I'm aware Brentford made some key Danish signings, good for them - let's hope it makes a difference.

Back