1993 Norco Cherokee

New York Albertan

Old School Hero
Freebie off Kijiji. 10 speed, Shimano SIS, Chang Star brakes. Tires held air - flat and dry as Western Kansas when I brought her home. Everything seems original. Seems like a '93, to me. Took her out for a run and she's not bad - the gears shift smooth, chain wasn't too rusty. Once I get new tires, my son will use it as his university commuter. Worked on this w/my grandson today! (Everton 0 - Liverpool 0! ;))

Attachments

• DSC08914.JPG
    DSC08914.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC08913.JPG
    DSC08913.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC08916.JPG
    DSC08916.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC08918.JPG
    DSC08918.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Nice Norco! I'd guess older than 93, but it is just a guess based on the spec. I have a similar Nishiki by Norco, has similar brake levers, but cantilever instead. I managed to pin it down to late 1987/ early 88. If the derailleurs are Shimano, they have a date code that could help you narrow down the age

Can't believe it has been in progress for 2 years, I actually have most of the parts now, think I just need a few more bits:

Nice Norco! I'd guess older than 93, but it is just a guess based on the spec. I have a similar Nishiki by Norco, has similar brake levers, but cantilever instead. I managed to pin it down to late 1987/ early 88. If the derailleurs are Shimano, they have a date code that could help you narrow down the age

Can't believe it has been in progress for 2 years, I actually have most of the parts now, think I just need a few more bits:
Bike Forums has a thread on old Norcos. The 1988 Sundowner looks very much like my Cherokee. But everything I find online says the Cherokee wasn't released until 1993. The derailleur seems to concur 1993 - RD-DY20. That'd be April 1993.

A weird ride! Certainly not ever intended for off-road use - but it was! Listed as an "ATB". Not much about them online. None I can find look like mine. I think the rims are steel, as well (hint is the dots of surface rust, and no hint they are Araya, which is what I find online in the "specs" - keeps saying Araya, but there's no evidence of the same, on my bike.

Last edited:
I think the rims are steel, as well (hint is the dots of surface rust, and no hint they are Araya, which is what I find online in the "specs" - keeps saying Araya, but there's no evidence of the same, on my bike.
My Nishiki has alloy Arayas, they're clearly marked. Magnet would be a good way to test. I found the pages you mentioned above, also couldn't find anything before 1993, but it looks so eighties. Interesting bike, should make a good rider.

The 1988 Sundowner looks very much like my Cherokee.
I would guess as well that your bike is from the End of 80ties.

Norco had 1992/93 already nice MTBs like Rampage and a Full suspension.
Norco Rampage 1992.jpg Norco Vipor FTS Fully 1993 catalog.jpg

Sometimes the low entry level bike looked indeed much older, as cheaper parts and last gen technology is often used.
But also the decals look so 80ties.

I had a while ago a old bush pilot from most likely 1989 with similar decal style as at your Cherokee.
Norco Bush pilot 1989 Moosinning1.JPG

Obviously early Norco bikes aren't documented well and there is very little information available online.
Maybe those bikes had been also just produced in low numbers and there was not a clear designed range?

According information from an earlier history section at the Norco website, they have started in 1984 to offer MTBs
Norco first MTBs in 1984.jpg

Yours is an ATB, also because no cantilever brakes have been used. Still a very nice find 👍
A bit of cleaning and new grips and than have fun and please keep it, it anyhow looks like that there is already someone in your family which wants this bike inherited in a few decades.

I would guess as well that your bike is from the End of 80ties.

Norco had 1992/93 already nice MTBs like Rampage and a Full suspension.
View attachment 661846 View attachment 661847

Sometimes the low entry level bike looked indeed much older, as cheaper parts and last gen technology is often used.
But also the decals look so 80ties.

I had a while ago a old bush pilot from most likely 1989 with similar decal style as at your Cherokee.
View attachment 661848

Obviously early Norco bikes aren't documented well and there is very little information available online.
Maybe those bikes had been also just produced in low numbers and there was not a clear designed range?

According information from an earlier history section at the Norco website, they have started in 1984 to offer MTBs
View attachment 661849

Yours is an ATB, also because no cantilever brakes have been used. Still a very nice find 👍
A bit of cleaning and new grips and than have fun and please keep it, it anyhow looks like that there is already someone in your family which wants this bike inherited in a few decades.
I know it's a '93. But it does indeed look "Late 80s". Wish it was! ;)

Back