1993 Condor 653

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
This should be a 'proper' Retrobike build, seeing as 1) It involves bringing a bit of a wreck back to life and 2) It makes no financial sense. Actually I suppose considering the cost of a new Condor steel frame, maybe it could be justified financially, but needless to say that's not why we do this sort of thing, is it? Otherwise we'd all be bankrupt, as has often been pointed out. Still, I'll keep telling myself it's worth it as the cost inevitably spirals, as per usual 🥹

About a year ago I posted a thread trying to identify the model of a Condor I picked up on Marketplace for the princely sum of £25. I still haven't actually found out what model it is, though I have just got around to asking Condor (it makes a change to have a bike made by a company that is still in business) so maybe they will tell me more soon.

I picked it up based only on one crappy photo which showed the 653 decal, but I had no idea what make it was, or anything else, really, so to find out it was a Condor was a nice surprise. Anyway, it may have cost £25 but it was in quite rough shape, having obviously had a hard life at times. It had been kept out in the open in garden of the person I picked it up from, although he was definitely not the original owner, being far too short for it (hence the seatpost all the way down in the frame). Also one shifter didn't work at all, so he would have been riding it on the small ring only...though in Sheffield that is better than on the big ring only, I suppose.

It had been rebadged as a Reflex, who are a brand that make nasty Bike-Shaped-Objects. A bit of a come-down for what was once a rather nice bike. I felt very sorry for it. Yes, I know it's an inanimate object, but still.

Condor-Squadra(?).JPG

I only have one not very good photo of the bike in the state that I got it, as it was smuggled in under the cover of night and swiftly taken apart as much as I could so as to avoid any interrogation the next day ;)

The good points:

- It's a 653 Condor
- The wheels are original and in surprising good condition
- It's mostly original
- The seatpost was not stuck

The bad points:

- Nearly everything else

Once stripped down, it was even more obvious how rusted the frame had become. It also has a dent in the downtube, but that can be filled in, the frame still seems aligned okay. The stuck stem was eventually freed by putting it in a vice and turning/pulling the frame. The bottom bracket has a date with a blowtorch in the nearish future.

IMG_3662.JPG

The Reynolds decals have held up remarkably well – the paintwork, not so much. The paint is a not very inspiring greyish silver, so I'll take the opportunity to have it painted a nicer colour which will emphasize the nice stamped areas.

IMG_3646.JPG

The plan is to go with a deep metallic blue, similar to that which appears in the 1990 Condor catalogue:

condor-frames-1990.png

This is a very common colour for car paint, but I'm not sure what the RAL code for it would be. I'll have to see what the painters say. The stamped areas will be picked out in white. I already have the main decals bought direct from Condor, but they don't make the right headtube decal any more so I've had to recreate one:

headbadge-design.jpg

I'll get that made by H Lloyd at the same time as ordering the 653 decals. The frame will be painted at Woodrups in Leeds, once the BB is finally freed and I get round to getting the train up there...

Back