1992 Trek 8000 Aluminum

I've commuted on an alloy bike for a while.
Alloy's more fun because it's lighter and snappier, but if the bike is loaded, the load kills all that, and you just end up with a harsh riding bike. Steel will at least take away some of the road buzz.

I don't bring much to work. Small backpack w/a knee-wrap, my lunch. Less than 5 lbs. But it is a rigid fork, and the beginning/end of my commute is a little off-road/trail. I am also considering the steel Trek's from the 90s. The 930 interests me as well. But I'll be testing the 8000 out in a few hours. Excited. Will keep you posted!

Last edited:
I could be wrong here, but wasn't the front mech widget needed as a converter for a bottom pull mech and top pull cable routing? Couldn't you just use a top pull mech? They are plentiful now but were allegedly the devil's work back then, hence the widget?

I could be wrong here, but wasn't the front mech widget needed as a converter for a bottom pull mech and top pull cable routing? Couldn't you just use a top pull mech? They are plentiful now but were allegedly the devil's work back then, hence the widget?
Problem is that there’s nowhere to stop the cable on the seat tube, outer cable arcs from top tube to the mech:
3B62AC96-139A-4AC5-9338-51F01EC20922.jpeg

Back