62.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 455
Re:

Are they XTR/Araya 395 wheel (squinting at the picture hard to make out but don't look like Araya 400), have a slight point in the middle and concave sidewalls?

I like that orange post, I think it's a new modern post.
Some good kit on there.

Are you using an iphone by any chance (upside down pictures).

What's your intent for the bike.
The XT lever (739?) and slightly newer LX V-Brakes should work well.
You can fit more rings to the crank, cannot make out what it is though (you can stick better pics up somewhere else and link to them if you want)

Or just buy a nice 9 speed shifter, rear mechanic and cassette.

Re:

Hi fluffychicken.
They are indeed xtr/rm395 rims, the cranks are xtr and the front chainring is a middleburn 32t.
I am about to fit a pair of Hutchinson Tioga's ('cos I like 'em).
I am thinking to go with an xt 7 speed set up, and leave the front as is. Not going to be using this in anger ( those days are gone lol), just would likea bit of help on the (gentle) climbs.

You'll need 8sp, the M900 where designed for 8 speed, though not Compact Drive so you'll be limited to a 12T smallest unless you bodge it with a 1mm spacer, though mine eventually chipped the freehub body where it screws in)

They are a top set of wheels, my favourite rims (they are the best Araya made) and better than the Mavic 231's by a long shot. It would be correct for the age too.

The XTR is M960 then, early 2000's
32 is quite low if you do a lot of road work. But see how it goes. Grab any of the SRAM/Shimano 12-32 or 12-34 depending on what you want.
Give it a go.

Which area are you from ?

Don't forget suntour xc pro, This was also available bitd.

Here's mine with xc pro.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 400
Re:

Nice bike emjay, I'm envious of your ali stalk!
I am based in Taunton, somerset, fluffychicken. So are you saying that m960 kit would fit my bike? All a bit confusing! Must admit to have been shocked by some of the prices of old xtr kit. Guess you get what you pay for!

Re:

Most stuff until recently was pretty universal, but yes it would. Most tend to a kid the shifters

You can fit 9sp on there without a problem (just the rear hub cannot properly take an 11tooth cog if you do buy them)
(And 10sp etc in reality)

Re:

Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided to go 7 speed xt at the moment, when funds allow I will get an m735 mech etc.

Latest posts

Back