1992 Orange Aluminium Elite Gears

Lee6470

Retro Newbie
Hi all, newbie here!
Hopefully somebody will be able to point me in the right direction!
I have the aforementioned bike, very pleased with it, but a previous owner has converted it to a single speed set up.
I would like to return the rear setup, I understand that it would originally have had a Shimano m900 8 speed. These seem to be very expensive to buy used!
My question is, hoping to retain xt or xtr components, what combinations of kit could I use? I don't mind if it's 8 or 9 speed, but the different options available both new and used seem very bewildering, I would just like to understand what will actually fit my bike before I spend the cash!
Sorry for the ramble!

If your in no rush I'd be tempted to save a buy bits of XTR M900 as they come up. If your happy to go XT , M735 is good stuff and period right.

What bits do you need?
I have some XTR and XT kit up for sale right now.

Re:

Thanks for your reply minifreak.
I will need a rear mech, shifter and cassette, possibly a chain too, but the one I have might be ok.
The front currently has a middleburn 32t chainring, looks nice, so I'll probably leave that as is.

For a cassette the CS-HG41 by Shimano if going 8 speed is hard to beat, around £12 on eBay

Chain wise I'd go for a Shimano IG51 chain.

If it's just shifters and not brake levers you need, I have some XTR M900 shifters on hangers for £60

Re:

You could buy the Elite with various different builds so Shimano DX or M732/5 XT will be fine, as will Suntour Microdrive. The wheels should be Mavic M231CD based. Brakes were often Dia-Compe.

Re:

Please excuse my ignorance, but a quick scan of evilbay reveals that i can choose a "short" or "long" cage rear mech of the same variant (eg m735). Have no idea what the difference is.........!?

Re:

As me mentioned, Oranges at that time came with anything you wanted on them,though there was a basic outline.
DeoreLX/DX/XT (7sp) or the new XTR (8sp)
Suntour XC Comp/Pro MD (8sp) being the other option.
DX and XC Comp probably being the most common.

Get some pictures up (we love them) and we can check over some things.

You can mix and match from Shimano and some modern part will keep the hidden bits going nicely

Stick with long cage on Shimano for ease, it just means it can use a larger diversity of gears and lass faffing with the chain.

You probably have/go for 24/26/46 at the front and 12-28(32) at the rear.

You could technically fit modern Shimano XT Touring groupset on there.

Don't rush, look around and see who lives near you.

You'll find the Elite in the 92 and 93 catalogues http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

Latest posts

Back