1992 kona black question

Scootxyz

Dirt Disciple
hi there

just taken delivery of a black 1992 cindercone. seems to be completely original parts - even down to the tyres... which I am well chuffed about.

I shall of course be posting pics when I take her on her maiden voyage in the daylight... (A quick spin around the block just now has just put a massive grin on my face. going to have a lot of fun on this bike)

Anyway - a question for all the kona experts on the forum...

The paint is chipped in a few places. And also touched up with a paint stick.

And there's red paint underneath - which would have been the stock colour...

So did they respray these black in the UK if you went for the black option?

Or have I got an aftermarket respray?

(finish is excellent apart from a few bits that have been touched up with a paint stick... decals seem all original down to the tbg sticker and the "made in taiwan" on the down tube).

Anyone got any info? much appreciated if so.

Cheers
Rich

The entire Kona range was available in black as an option in 1992, and as you rightly say red was the other colour for Cinder Cones. I can't believe that they would have been over-painted in black and re-stickered if you took the black option, rather than being painted in both colours in the factory in the first place. Stripping the parts off, over-painting, re-stickering, reassembling the parts, it would mean spending more money. That doesn't compute.

That doesn't mean that your bike hasn't been over-painted at some point. Not a problem - especially if you prefer black to red! When you can post pictures up, we'll be able to tell whether the stickers look authentic.

Back